Typographic film posters

When I wrote the brief, the whole intention of it was to produce typographic posters with an appropriate context.
To support the appropriateness of using film promotion as a context for my typographic, I have found existing examples of general films that use largely typography in their posters.

1. 2. 3.

4. 5. 6.

7. 8. 9.

1. Invasion (2007) - This example is extremely hand crafted and although it is quite basic, it works well in that background and it doesn't need anymore detail.
2. Dancer in the Dark (2000) - This is an extremely simple design to look at, even more so than the Invasion poster, but it communicates all the relevant information so technically it does work.
3. Big Fish (2003) - This has been one of my favourite movie posters/dvd covers etc. since I first saw it. I always thought it was weird that it was called Big Fish and a tree is the main imagery, but after seeing the film it makes sense. Working with type in this way is definately something I want to work with.
4. Beautiful Losers (2008) - This Beautiful Losers poster is very 'fun'! I really like the hand crafted feel to it and the bold colours that have been used.
5. Gang's of New York (2002) - Using the words to create the shape of a hat, and actually give a 3D shape works extremely well on this poster. It isn't the easiest thing to read, but I still think it works and I would be much more likely to keep a poster like this instead of the 'Dancer in the dark' poster.
6. The Limits of Control (2009) - This kind of reminds me of a James Bond poster, I think that's due to the colour and the circle with an image of a man inside it. I also really like the type.
7. Sex and the City (2008) - This is a little more digital that the work I aim to produce but the colour and composition of the type are aspects that I really like.
8. Juno (2007) - I have always liked the illustration associated with Juno, especially the opening sequence. This poster is yet another example of Juno related work that I like. The bold colours and hand crafted type are so in your face, and it's particularly relevant as its just a quote.
9. Burn After Reading (2008) - The type in this is one of my favourites - all the letters are different so I assume it is hand rendered. The colours also work really well.

The range in years show that typographic posters are always an effective design direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment