Philip Joyce

I came across Philip Joyce's work when I was looking for 'alternate movie posters', it just so happens that done 'alternative versions' of a few of the Oscar nominated one's that I am working with.

When focusing on his work alone, I found this set of posters that he designed for American Psycho, Juno, The Big Lebowski and Napoleon Dynamite. I have to admit that I don't really see the link between the actual films...but the posters work well as a set! I expect that this simple, but definately effective layout/grid will be something that I work with as it has a lot of space to work with but still fits in the information about the film at the bottom. As I am working with quotes, there will obviously be more type but I like the use of negative space.



Below are Joyce's alternative posters for the Oscar nominated films:

Although they look quite different from the above examples, the idea is quite similar - to focus on an image and fit the information in around it i.e. 127 hours - the mountains are the focus, The King's Speech - the crown is the focus but on all of them, the type works well with the image.
Specifically on the 127 hours, Winter's Bone, The King's Speech and Inception posters I really like the textures that he uses.







No comments:

Post a Comment