Design Context group surgery follow up


When I was preparing work for the context surgery, I was aware that I had a lot/too much planned and that's why I needed the help of the workshop.

It quickly became apparent that:
1) The chapters I had needed a thread to highlight the relationship between them all.
2) I need to keep it more simple/focused.

- The issue with the chapters looking a little unrelated is definately something I was aware of but I wasn't sure how to overcome it, the chapters were:
  1. Type and illustration for food/drink packaging
  2. Children's book cover illustration
  3. Black and white illustration
  4. Papercraft
  5. Hand crafted type
The issues were:
  1. Why specifically food/drink packaging?
  2. -
  3. Why black and white? And is it substantial enough for a chapter?
  4. Could papercraft just be related to packaging?
  5. This could be linked in with other chapters.
Also, I had specified that I would look at pricing and manufacturing techniques for mass production of papercraft etc. but it was highlighted that if i'm not interested in that - I don't have to include it - which was a relief!

After some discussion, it was suggested that I could title it 'Hand-crafted' and have 2 sections Type and Image, as then I could include all that I wanted an more because it could have hand crafted type, colour and black and white and its applications i.e. packaging, book covers etc. and the same for image.

Some of the other things I noted down that was general advice:
- Don't just regurgatate what you've found; how can it Not just be a collection of images.
- What are the markets for the work - Agencies/Companies that use them.
- If you're contacting designers to ask them questions, engineer it so that you get the response/information that you want as opposed to 'yes' or 'no' answers.
- On the blog - show things that don't work as well as things that do work, so that it sets a benchmark and backs up your opinions on what Does work.
- Get a good title!
- Can include your own work IF it fits - it shouldn't stand out.
- Teach the audience something - but make it accessible.

Also, one question that I got the oppurtunity to ask (but felt a little silly for asking) was;
What is the difference between hand-crafted and hand-rendered?
- Render - Formal
- Crafted - More informal, hands on.

So to conclude, I came out of the design context feeling positive and ready to get on with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment